Friday, March 28, 2008

One habit I don't want to break.

I know it's coming. The time when I have to stop rocking Allie to sleep for her naps. I have been putting it off and putting it off. I realized today though that in just 4 1/2 months another little one will be here demanding my time and attention, and I may not have the time, energy, or opportunity to rock my little Alliebug to sleep. But how sweet the moments of her being in my arms are. We sit down and I sing to her. She hugs me tightly several times, and reaches up to give me kisses. She proclaims what songs she wants me to sing, and asks to read books over and over. She fights sleep for a few minutes, but I calmly rock her and tell her it's time to sleep, soaking in all of the hugs and kisses that I can. Then she gives up. Her little body gets stiller and stiller, and she eventually lays limp in my arms, with that angel face of her when she sleeps. I kiss her and rock her for several minutes before I lay her little body in the bed to settle in for her two hour nap. I stand back and look at her and still can't believe that God blessed me with such a beautiful creature. And then I think, I have 4 1/2 months. I am not going to worry about this just yet:)

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Hey, Sis Dana,

I enjoyed your tho'ts about childrearing. You've got gut insights that usually a "Mama" doesn't realize till AFTER the "babies" are grown and gone.

My first two children, I raised by the book...not THE Book...I should have. I listened to Dr. Spock. My mother-in-law. Her #1 parenting "law" was.."Let them cry! It's good for them. You'll spoil them if you pick them up!"

The second two children were raised by MY book. I picked them up. I ROCKED and STILL remember that sweet thrill when they went from actively awake in your arms to surrender and their bodies were limp. And, you sit there and stare at them and wonder, how something so BEAUTIFUL could be yours.

Allie will have such busy chores to do in helping Mommy, she won't mind giving up her "lap" on occasion. She'll enjoy doing that, too.

Turn around, they're starting school, turn around, they're graduating, turn around they're newlyweds, turn around, they're Mommies or Daddies...rock while you can.

Love you, Little Sister in Christ.

Dianne (-: